Sunday, October 12, 2014

Sunday night the 12th of October.

I am anchored in a river a little past Savanna Georgia.  The current was quite strong so I am hoping my anchor holds during the night and I don't wake up on a bank somewhere or heaven forbid into someone's dock or boat across the river.  I will set my anchor alarm that wakes me up if the boat drifts beyond set limits and then I have to hurry and figure out how to remedy the problem.  I don't think that will happen but it has happened in the past just a couple of times and since then I have added a new anchor that is nearly twice the size and weight of the original anchor and haven't had even a thought of anchor dragging since so I'm very hopeful. 

I am relaxing since I have spent a 12 hour day piloting the boat nearly 60 miles down the ICW.  I know 60 miles doesn't seem like much but in a sail boat, they are normally designed to go the high speeds of 5 to 8 miles per hour either sailing or motoring or a combination of both.  The design of the boat is not speed since it has so much resistance in the water to keep it upright with a nearly 3000 pound keel (on mine) that allows her to lean over almost horizontal to the water and still self right back up to vertical in an instant.  It is an amazing design that makes them work running in the water with the weight and resistance and pushed by the wind or a small engine if there is no wind.

I have been listening to some good music that makes me smile and have also been reading a great book by my good friend Ken Gallacher called "Moving Faster Than the Speed of Doubt".  Thank you Ken for the book and your friendship and I am loving what I am learning in your book as I sit on my boat on anchor near the Savanna River in Georgia.  I have 2 other books from you that I will be reading also. 

No comments:

Post a Comment